Thursday, December 08, 2005

The health nazis win again

I had thought this was a free country, where I could decide for myself what I chose to do and not do. Apparently not. Starting in 2008, Chicago will be completely smoke free. Great. You got the planes, and every single building but bars and restaurants. Now you took the bars too. The only place I wanted. The only reason people go to bars is the smoke and drink. Non smokers don't go there!

And before any of you get on your high health horse with that "second hand smoke causes cancer" bullshit, that study (yes, singular, one fucking story) has been debunked, many times.

Just another case of self-righteous assholes trying to make everyone do what they think is right. They're not nazis, they're terrorists; no different than any other religious fundamentalist who would use the law to enforce morality. No one voted you the savior of my life or soul, so just go fucking shove it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can see both sides of the smoking ban (smoke in bars never bothers me, especially since i often bum cigs, but it's also nice to not have my hair smell smokey when i leave a bar)...but where do you get off saying that non-smokers don't go to bars??? that's just. not. true.!!!

Thu Dec 08, 01:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Chico said...

True, I was succumbing to hyperbole there. My point was that most people who go to bars, the dark just-alcohol-no-food type places I think to frequent, are smoking. Even non-smokers like yourself will bum a butt. This is why most bars don't have non-smoking sections. It's not a Big Tobacco conspiracy, it the market dictating consumer demand.

If you don't want your hair smelling like smoke, you have the choice to not enter the bar. You could stay home or go somewhere where there is no smoking allowed. I, now, have no choice. I have no place I can go and simply enjoy a beer and a smoke. I now have the threat of a $100 fine (or worse) hanging over my head, so that your hair doesn't have to smell like smoke.

Now we're left to huddle in alleys, or make smoking ghettos of our homes.

Thu Dec 08, 02:33:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true enough, but the staunch anti-tobacco lobbyists would argue that it's better from smokers to turn their homes into smoking ghettos than for just one person to have to breathe unpurified air. (not that the air we breathe outside is all that great anyway, but....) that if you're choosing to smoke then you should therefore choose to make all of your belongings smell like smoke, too.

one of the biggest problems i have is the no-smoking within 15 feet of public places. so your choices are to huddle in alleys with whores and junkies, or just stand in the middle of the road. i think the whore/junkie route would at least be more entertaining...

Fri Dec 09, 05:46:00 AM PST  
Blogger Chico said...

I'm glad you brought up the quality of the air outside. If all of these purported public health organizations really cared about air quality, then why aren't they after big industry to reduce the air pollution they make, and after the auto industry to reduce air emissions, or develop alternative, zero-emission energy sources? These are anti-smoking organizations plain and simple, cloaked in a guise of public health altruism.

Fri Dec 09, 07:54:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home