Thursday, December 21, 2006

The (Obligatory) Best Albums of 2006

It's that time of year again, isn't it? Well, in no particular order, here's my top ten:
  • Mute Math - Mute Math
  • Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
  • Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
  • Tokyo Police Club - A Lesson In Crime
  • Hank Williams III - Straight To Hell
  • Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
  • The Black Angels - Passover
  • Oh No! Oh My! - Oh No! Oh My!
  • Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That
  • TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
If you're looking for a #1, I'd have to give it to TVOTR and/or B&S. Deal with it.

In case you're curious how they made my list, here's my slipshot, entirely subjective criteria:
  • published this year (duh)
  • be an original album or ep release (no remix, best of, or collection albums)
  • be a solid listen through the whole album (no one or two song wonders)
  • have kept itself on heavy rotation on my iPod at some point during the year (gotta love it)
  • ... but still be able to relisten to it when the initial sheen wears off (staying power!).

1 Comments:

Blogger h.Lo said...

I can get behind this list. I need to give that TVOTR a proper listen, methinks. We'll call you when we hit town next Thursday. =) Happy Holly-days.

Thu Dec 21, 03:28:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home